Located at the heart of the future Green City of Benguerir, Mohammed VI Polytechnic University (UM6P), a higher education institution with an international standard, is established to serve Morocco and the African continent. Its vision is honed around research and innovation at the service of education and development. This unique nascent university, with its state-of-the-art campus and infrastructure, has woven a sound academic and research network, and its recruitment process is seeking high quality academics and professionals in order to boost its quality-oriented research environment in the metropolitan area of Marrakech.
Lot 660, Hay Moulay Rachid, Ben Guerir 43150
Mohammed VI Polytechnic University
International Water Research Institute (IWRI)
International Water Research Institute (IWRI/UM6P) aims to rethink and adapt research, development, innovation and training to new paradigms to meet the future challenges of water and climate.
IWRI implements interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary education and research programs around issues related to Water and Climate, on the campus of the Mohammed VI Polytechnic University in Benguerir, as well as two future Research and Innovation platforms dedicated to Water at the Mazagan Campus and Laayoune Technopole. Its ambition is to act as an African Water Hub through triangular strategic cooperation and partnerships (International Open Space Exchange Platform).
The objectives are to conduct cutting-edge research where local themes are connected to global issues of water and climate, with a focus on:
- Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM)
- Development of advanced water technologies (irrigation, water supply and sanitation, desalination, wastewater treatment and reuse)
- Climate Change and Adaptation Strategies.
Job Title: Research Engineer in Hydrological modelling
Area of specialization in IWRI: Integrated Water Resources Management
Expected starting date: May 2023
The Mohammed VI Polytechnic University (UM6P) invites applications for a research engineer within the International Water Research Institute (IWRI).
The work will be accomplished in the frame of ASSIWAT project which aims to assess the sustainability of irrigated agriculture in water limited conditions through a combined use of remote sensing, eco-hydrological modelling and experimentation. A decision support system (DSS) for water resources management at watershed level will be developed, allowing a better understanding of the eco-hydrological functioning of the Haouz-Tensift basin (Morocco) and predicting trajectories for a sustainable water resources management.
The candidate will specifically contribute to the development and implementation of an integrated eco-hydrological model, that combines spatialized Evapotranspiration (ET) data with WEAP model (Water Evaluation & Planning system) and MODFLOW (Modular groundwater Flow) model to simulate the integrated water balance at basin scale in semi-arid environment. The study area of the project will be the semi-arid hydrological basin of Haouz-Tensift in Morocco.
The specific tasks to be performed include:
- Assess the vegetation cover and agricultural water demand (ET) dynamics of the irrigated areas,
- Update the conceptual model of the hydrological functioning of the watershed in interaction with water managers (ABHT, ORMVAH) to implement WEAP model over the Haouz-Tensift basin for the past years,
- Coupling ET products with WEAP and MODFLOW models to simulate the integrated water balance over the area of study for the past years,
- Building and developing scenarios for water resource evolution and consumption to assess the impact of global changes on water resources in Haouz-Tensift watershed,
- Managing, analysing and processing the geospatial database for the project needs,
- Reporting regularly on the implementation process and project progress,
- Disseminating research results in academic journal papers and at conferences,
- Collaborate with students, project team members and institutional partners for DSS implementation.
Application should be sent in a single electronic zipped folder which contain: 1) a detailed Curriculum vitae with a full list of publications, 2) a copy of the Doctorate or PhD degree certificate, 3) Letter of motivation 4) Electronic copy of the doctoral thesis.
Criteria of the candidate:
Candidates should have a PhD degree or equivalent in earth sciences, hydrology, water resource management, remote sensing, or related disciplines.
- Knowledge of hydrology and hydrological modelling, evapotranspiration modelling, experience with WEAP and/or Modflow is an asset,
- Good skills in agro-meteorological, hydrological data processing and use,
- Experience in GIS and remote sensing techniques and tools,
- Knowledge of scientific computing environments (e.g. python, Matlab, R),
- Good written and oral English language skills,
Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in an international and interdisciplinary team across institutes.