Mohammed VI Polytechnic University is an institution dedicated to research and innovation in Africa and aims to position itself among world-renowned universities in its fields The University is engaged in economic and human development and puts research and innovation at the forefront of African development. A mechanism that enables it to consolidate Morocco’s frontline position in these fields, in a unique partnership-based approach and boosting skills training relevant for the future of Africa. Located in the municipality of Benguerir, in the very heart of the Green City, Mohammed VI Polytechnic University aspires to leave its mark nationally, continentally, and globally.
Lot 660, Hay Moulay Rachid, Ben Guerir 43150
Area of specialization:
The incumbent will join the Chair in Soil Science, whose objective is to develop and conduct a research program in Molecular Soil Science that uses scientific knowledge to understand the complex nature of our soils and supports the green transition in Africa. The successful candidate will have broad expertise, mainly in the areas of soil science, nutrient use efficiency, and biogeochemical cycling of nutrients and contaminants in the soil-plant-animal-human system. This individual will have experience in translating this knowledge into policies and field practices that support soils in the context of sustainable agricultural systems and the provision of vital ecosystem services.
The Chair in Soil Science at the Mohammed VI Polytechnic University (UM6P) invites applications for a full-time position in Molecular Soil Science with the rank of Senior Research Scientist.
The successful applicant will conduct research in Molecular Soil Science with the purpose of understanding the mechanisms controlling the fate and behavior of elements in the environment, from the weathering of the rocks to their impacts upon soils, plants, animals and humans. This knowledge is then tested through experimentation and models to develop recommendations for management practices that support soil health and policies for securing soil in sustainable agricultural systems. This knowledge will support our efforts to understand and manage soil, a critical zone for life on Earth. The successful applicant will be competent in modeling environmental processes that link soil to other ecological compartments, as a means of aggregating information in a holistic way.
Other duties include mentoring interns, students, and postdoctoral fellows, teaching upper-level courses at UM6P, and supporting the overall activities of the Chair by interacting regularly with the Chair’s scientific committee. The incumbent will work in close collaboration with the complementary groups and departments of the university, including the Geology Department, Agrobiosciences, International Water Research Institute, African Genome Center, Chemical and Biological Sciences, and Material Science, among others. Evidence of research and teaching excellence is expected. Strong English communication skills, both verbal and written, are required.
The successful candidate is expected to:
• Support the laboratory, greenhouse, and field experiments by offering training and guidance to other laboratory personnel related to the procedures and protocols for complex scientific operations, analyses, and equipment.
• Supervise research projects (completely or partially) by determining and assigning tasks, and timelines, and setting milestones for the successful completion of sponsored research projects.
• Conduct and mediate sensitive interactions between corporate research scientists and university research faculty, research scientists, research technicians, and students to
disseminate information appropriately while respecting corporate intellectual property issues.
• Collaborate in research activities by working with students, staff, faculty, and/or other partners. Contribute to the development of research proposals to fund laboratory activities.
• Oversee the development and updating of guidelines and protocols for lab operations, assuring quality control, and a safe working environment. Confirm that the lab operations information is properly communicated to research staff, faculty, and students that work in the labs.
• Conduct research effectively by maintaining accurate records of experiments and analyses performed, in laboratory notebooks and computer databases. Conduct relevant literature
searches and maintains an up-to-date knowledge of current methods of experimentation.
• Understand the principles of operation of specialized scientific equipment and teach subordinates how to operate the equipment.
• Contribute to the dissemination of knowledge gained through research by preparing and publishing findings and presenting results in meetings with partners and at scientific
• Remain competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing a professional network with colleagues at local, national and international levels, attending
professional development training, and participating in training and/or courses as required.
• Contribute to the overall success of the Chair by performing all other duties as assigned by the head of the Chair of Soil Science.
Criteria of the candidate:
• Ph.D. in Soil Science, Terrestrial Geochemistry, or related fields.
• At least 7 years of research experience after receipt of the Ph.D. degree, including Postdoctoral training, in Soil Science, preferably with international experience.
• Record of publication in well-ranked, international peer-reviewed journals (at least 10 publications in the last 3 years).
• Significant research record and leadership in Molecular Soil Science, including experience in the use of state-of-the-art spectroscopic and isotopic techniques, and modeling capabilities.
• Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
• Skilled in conducting experimental soil science research in laboratory and field environments.
• Success in securing competitive research funding and completing funded projects.
• Positive attitude to change in an organization.
• Energetic, motivated, and proactive