Mohammed VI Polytechnic University is an institution dedicated to research and innovation in Africa and aims to position itself among world-renowned universities in its fields The University is engaged in economic and human development and puts research and innovation at the forefront of African development. A mechanism that enables it to consolidate Morocco’s frontline position in these fields, in a unique partnership-based approach and boosting skills training relevant for the future of Africa. Located in the municipality of Benguerir, in the very heart of the Green City, Mohammed VI Polytechnic University aspires to leave its mark nationally, continentally, and globally.
Lot 660, Hay Moulay Rachid, Ben Guerir 43150
UM6P - Vacancy for:
Research Engineer/Scientist – Plant Stress Resistance and Phytochemistry
Mohammed VI Polytechnic University (UM6P),
College of Sustainable Agriculture and Environmental Science (CSAES)
AgroBioSciences program (AgBS)
Position Announcement - Mohammed VI Polytechnic University (UM6P), College of Agriculture and Environmental Science (CSAES), AgroBioSciences program (AgBS),
Job Title - Research Engineer/Scientist –Plant Stress Resistance and Phytochemistry
Areas of research:
Agronomy, Crop improvement, stress resistance, phytochemistry, plant-environment interaction,
About the College of Agriculture and Environmental Science (CAES) and AgroBiosciences Program (AgBS) at UM6P:
The College of Agriculture and Environmental Science (CAES) is a component of the Science & Technology pole of Mohammed VI Polytechnic University (UM6P). It constitutes a structure of higher education and practical-based research with a vision of solving real African agriculture challenges leveraging up to date science and technology. Oriented towards Africa, CAES acts in connection with a wide network of universities and research centers around the continent in order to link real field issues with up-to-date science. Research on plant nutrition, (a)biotic stresses resistance and biofortification is part of the AgroBiosciences Program (AgBS) with main focus on Moroccan and African agriculture challenges in particular meeting the food and nutritional security.
We are seeking applications for a full-time Research Engineer/Scientist –Plant Stress Resistance and Phytochemistry having experience in the field of crop improvement, germplasm assessment and evaluation in response to biotic and abiotic stress and Genotype-Environment Interactions (GEI). The candidate should have expertise in germplasm screening, evaluation and characterization, cereal and legumes chemistry, crop improvement, etc. He/she should have familiarity with phenotyping for biotic and abiotic stresses, trait discovery and deployment for crop improvement. The successful candidate is expected to work with an interdisciplinary team identify, select, and develop superior germplasm with focus on end-use traits for market-oriented breeding strategy. The position is part of the Crop Improvement laboratory / AgroBioSciences program (AgBS) at the college of Agriculture (CAES). Priority will be given to the candidates having research good experience in the field of crop improvement. Publication records in the area of germplasm screening and assessment, identification of resistance sources, and characterization of resistance mechanisms is required. A track record of quality publications and excellence in research with ability to professional engagement with a diverse faculty, staff, and students across the university and externally are required. Good English communication skills; both verbal and written are, also, required.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Co-designing and implementing research activities related to plant resistance to major biotic and abiotic stresses for cereals and legumes and other potential crops,
- Conduct large screening and phenotyping experiments and identification of potential resistance sources and associated traits for major biotic (parasitic weeds) and abiotic plant stresses (drought, high temperature, nutrient deficiency, etc.),
- Explore physiological, and biochemical mechanisms underlying and associated with the resistance to major (a)biotic stresses fro target crop species,
- Support the phenotyping team in designing and implementing research experiments with focus on trait discovery and deployment in response to major biotic and abiotic stress,
- Contribute to the management of the PHENO-MA phenotyping platform research activities, including data collection, analysis and reporting,
- Contribute to the development of improved germplasm with resistance to biotic and abiotic stresses and high nutritional value,
- Assume responsibilities for carrying-out technical and scientific operations related to the crop improvement activities,
- Contribute to the multidisciplinary research team in the development of the Crop Improvement team,
- Contribution to establishing and/or maintaining collaboration with other research entities at SAES college, UM6P and external partners,
- Contribute to research proposals for funding from potential donors and prepare submissions for external, international funding,
- Contribute to the supervision of graduate and undergraduate students and development of teaching materials,
- Up to date on developments through scientific literature and publish research findings in ISI-peer-reviewed scientific journals with high journal Impact Factors.
Education, qualifications and experience
- PhD in the field of plant breeding, phytochemistry, plant biology, agronomy
- Good experience in germplasm screening, characterization and phenotyping for crop improvement,
- Good experience in trait discovery and deployment for major biotic and abiotic stresses in cereal and legume crops,
- Good knowledge in plant resistance to parasitic weeds and identification of associated traits under different environment,
- Experience in conducting field and controlled conditions experiments in relation with screening for biotic and abiotic stress resistance,
- Good publication record in leading international and well ranked ISI and high Impact Factor journals,
- Good English communication skills, both verbal and written,
- Aptitude for teamwork, problem solving and collaborative work,
- Positive attitude in changing fast paced environments
The successful candidate will be employed on a competitive salary by the University Mohammed VI Polytechnic (UM6P) based in Benguerir, Morocco.
Applications and selection procedure:
Applications must be sent using a single electronic zipped folder with the mention of the job title in the mails subject. The folder must contain:
- Cover letter indicating the position applied for and the main research interests.
- Detailed CV.
- Contact information of 3 references (Applicants are assumed to have obtained their references’ consent to be contacted for this matter).